Meet Joseph Pearce one of DKB’s Winter & Spring interns. Joseph had the opportunity of a lifetime when he was able to spend a month in a half in Sydney, Australia. He loved learning about how people live down under and experiencing their culture! Read more about Joseph below.
- Where are you from and where did you go to college?
I am from a small country town called Livonia. I moved to Cleveland, OH my freshman year of high school and went to Lake Erie College for two years. Then I transferred to St. John Fisher College to finish my last two years of undergrad and to complete my MBA.
- What was the deciding factor or influence in your life that moved you in the direction to choose accounting as your major?
My freshman year of college I wanted to be a sports management major and find a career in the sporting field. I soon realized as much as I love sports that was not the path for me, so I took an accounting class. I ended up loving it and talked to my aunt who is a CFO at Dibellas subs to find out about the field. It intrigued me so much that I knew I wanted to do this for my career.
- What is something someone would be surprised to learn about you?
I had the opportunity to go to Sydney Australia for a month and a half and I had the time of my life. It was so much fun and I learned a lot about the culture in the land below.
- What do you like to do outside of work? Hobbies, creative ventures?
I like to go running around state parks and play soccer on my free time. Soccer is my lifetime passion and I have won several state cups and conference titles over the years.
- What things have you learned about our firm or about the accounting profession that intrigues you since you came on board or had an interest in prior to joining our firm?
One thing that I have learned is that I love to work for a smaller family firm. Where I know everyone and get to talk to people all day. Versus a corporate office where I am just seen as a number. I am really interested in other fields such as business valuation and the auditing side. I am also glad to be a part of the tax team. They are all great people and have helped me grow so much in the short time I have been here.
Interested in an accounting internship? Reach out to Sandi Tucker at [email protected] today!